August 13th, 2021
Candidates must submit their applications for this role via LinkedIn. Click here to apply.
We are looking for a mechanical designer who shares our passion for sustainability, and is equally excited about the chance to be in on designs from day one, with projects that require you to think out of the box and collaborate with architects and consultant teams to solve complex challenges on projects across Canada. Located in Hamilton, Buffalo, and Kincardine, we have a diverse range of clients, specialties, and typologies to explore, including award-winning designs recognized for their engineering as well as architectural excellence.
Our mechanical team enjoys this unique, integrated, and inclusive atmosphere, with flexible workplace opportunities. From LEED to Net Zero certified projects, our team was the first to work on a large private mixed-use Net Zero Energy, Zero Carbon and LEED Gold Facility – Endress Hauser. This is just one example of projects that continue to challenge the status-quo, and their efforts are equally celebrated through awards such as “Best Mechanical Engineering Award” for our office design in 2019.
If you are looking for opportunities to work on different typologies with exposure to a variety of systems and buildings, as part of an amazing, talented team of sustainable leaders, we are the place for you!
About The Role
Playing an important part in the design team, the Mechanical Designer is a team player with the ability to receive and execute instructions from the Senior Engineer or Project Manager with general supervision. The Mechanical Designer will prepare drawings of existing building systems and prepare drawings for renovations and new construction of moderate complexity based on verbal instructions, sketches and/or formal documents. The position also requires preparing plans, section details and other drawings for construction, performing inspections of existing facilities to determine and verify existing systems and details, and utilizing design equipment and technology.
- Diploma – Technologist, Mechanical / Building Science / Building Systems
- Project Portfolio to demonstrate CAD and Revit experience and capabilities
- Driver’s License
- 4-7 years including moderate experience in complex environments such as laboratories, healthcare, institutional and civic projects
- Experience in HVAC and Hydronic system design and selection required
- Experience working on LEED and NetZero projects
- Energy modelling is an asset
Knowledge & Skills
- Generate mark-ups for junior staff on HVAC, Hydronics, Plumbing, Fire protection and specialty gases
- Ability to use HAP software load calculation and/or E-Quest for modelling
- Perform some system selection, with direction from Senior Engineer such as – diffusers, variable air volume boxes, terminal heating equipment, air valves, heat pumps, fans, etc.
- Complete design and calculations of HVAC, plumbing, fire protection and controls for small/mid/large scale projects
- Fluency with BIM REVIT MEP and use of Navisworks for coordination, AutoCAD and MS Office
- Support Construction Administration team in the review and issuance of documents such as RFI response, CCO’s, CO’s, shop drawing review
- Co-ordinate project information and work with all disciplines, including but not limited to, architectural, electrical, structural, geotechnical, and civil as required
- Strong communication skills with both internal teammates and external clients/project stakeholders
- Understanding of contracts related to our industries
- Fluency in the design and construction process, building science and building systems
- Capable of conducting site assessments and building system audits
- Preparation of project reports and presentations at design milestones
- Coordination with suppliers, contractors, and other design disciplines
- Ability to work with clients and consultant groups to manage a project, with supervision
- Understanding of the sustainability implications of building systems and finishes
- Preparation of tender documents and assistance in the development of specifications
- Review of construction budgets
- Provide/assist in construction review and collaborate with team members to issue necessary documentation
Demonstrated Ability To
- Deliver design excellence: meet/exceed project success criteria
- Integrate the three pillars of sustainability into the design process: social, financial, environmental
- Develop and sustain relationships with client and consultant groups
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Provide quality drawings with minimal mark-ups
- Complete drawings, and reports
- Determine/draw/delegate critical sections and plan details
- Provide completely coordinated documents
- Be receptive to feedback to optimize professional growth and contribution
- Mentor and coach junior team members
- Work in a team environment by sharing, collaborating, and assisting others
- Engage in self-initiated learning and professional development
- Reflect the company mission vision and values and contribute positively to the company culture
We thank everyone who is interested, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.