Waterloo North Hydro Headquarters & Fleet Services Centre
Waterloo North Hydro’s vision for its new facility was not only to provide an excellent environment for its team but also to contribute to the sustainable prosperity and success of its community. The new building was to be located on land available from a previously developed site on the Northern edge of Waterloo. In addition to developing a design from inception to completion, the team required assistance organizing the move of its 100 employees into the new facility.
The two-storey structure is designed in two sections. One section houses the administration offices, meeting rooms and public reception areas. The second section provides storage for line trucks, an operations control room and vehicle repair garage for the Waterloo North Hydro fleet. There are high security areas within the facility, strategically directed away from public, open spaces designed for greater community engagement.
The LEED Silver Certified design incorporates a geothermal heating and cooling system and a stormwater management pond. The high-performance building envelope creates a well insulated shell. There are shower and locker room facilities to encourage its employees to commute and with innovative wastewater diversion technology, the potable wastewater usage is reduced by 100%. The project diverted 75% of the demolition waste from the landfill and achieved an approximate annual energy savings of 45%.
Architecture, Interior Design, Sustainable Certification Facilitation
Partners & sub consultants
105,000 SQ. FT.
LEED Silver Certified
Innovations + Outcomes
- Earned all five Water Efficiency credits available. The building incorporated innovation in Wastewater Technologies, including a 100% reduction in potable wastewater use
- Anticipated 45% in annual energy cost savings
- Drought resistant landscaping and on-site stormwater cleaning
- Low-flow faucets, dual-flush toilets, waterless urinals
- Rainwater harvesting for toilet flushing
- 75% construction waste diverted from the landfill
- High-performance, well-insulated building envelope
- Occupancy and daylighting sensors
- Energy performance 43% better than MNECB