Waterloo North Hydro
Waterloo North Hydro’s vision for its 105,000 SF new facility involved an excellent corporate environment for its team and to advance the sustainable prosperity and success of its community. In 2012, when we built its new Administration and Service Centre on a previously developed site on the Northern edge of the City. We ensured all aspects of the integrated design reflected its sustainability vision.
The LEED Silver Certified building re-used materials from the previous site and in an educated way, incorporated thoughtful green technologies which contributed to an approximate annual energy savings of 45 per cent. Now home to more than 100 employees, the award-winning facility acts as a central hub and beautiful landmark within the City.
The two-storey structure is designed in two sections. One section houses the administration offices, meeting rooms and public reception areas. The second section provides storage for line trucks, an operations control room and a vehicle repair garage for its fleet. We balanced secure areas, with public, open spaces designed for greater community engagement.
The design incorporates geothermal heating and cooling system, and innovate storm water management pond. We paid special attention to the building envelope, creating a high performance, well insulated shell. There are shower and locker room facilities to encourage its employees to commute and thanks to innovative wastewater diversion technology, we reduced the potable wastewater usage by 100 per cent. Throughout the building, visitors will find re-used materials salvaged from the previous site, and we successfully diverted 75 per cent of the demolition waste from the landfill.
Architecture, Interior Design, LEED Facilitation, Project Management
Partners & sub consultants
105,000 SQ. FT.
LEED Silver Certified
Innovations + Outcomes
- Earned all five Water Efficiency credits available. The building incorporated innovation in Wastewater Technologies, including a 100% reduction in potable wastewater use
- Anticipated 45% in annual energy cost savings
- Drought resistant landscaping and on-site stormwater cleaning
- Low-flow faucets, dual-flush toilets, waterless urinals
- Rainwater harvesting for toilet flushing
- 75% construction waste diverted from the landfill
- High-performance, well-insulated building envelope
- Occupancy and daylighting sensors
- Energy performance 43% better than MNECB