Current Job Postings
Intermediate Mechanical Designer
Posting Date: April 29, 2021
We are an exceptional company seeking exceptional teammates with creativity and a passion for sustainable design. mcCallumSather is an award-winning, multi-disciplinary design firm based in Hamilton, Ontario, an exciting city with a vibrant arts community. We work in an equally exceptional workspace at Westinghouse HQ, tailored to encourage collaboration, continuous learning and creativity.
There are many opportunities for growth, and we encourage our team to proactively chart their own career path, providing you with the support and mentorship to achieve these goals. Our designers can work on a full range of projects throughout Southern Ontario and in emerging markets across Canada and cross-border. This is an opportunity to work in an amazing environment, and where your contributions to your design project can make a real difference.
Mission: Advancing Sustainable Design Intelligence
Vision Statement: Transforming design to create a more resilient world
Playing an important part in the engineering design team, the Intermediate Mechanical Designer is a team player with the ability to receive and execute instructions from the Senior Engineer or Project Manager with minimal supervision.
- Work directly with and support Senior personnel along with overseeing and directing junior members of the production team.
- Assist in the engineering design of and prepare contract drawings, schedules, details and sketches from conceptual design, through to tender and construction
- Ensure CAD/Revit BIM MEP Standards, Quality Assurance and Quality Control procedures are followed during drawing planning and production
- Comprehensive working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, ASHRAE, NFPA, and industry standards
- Experience in HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection and Medical gases with institutional, healthcare, and civic projects at a variety of scales
- Work to and meet project timelines and assist in developing and meeting project budgets
- Co-ordinate project requirements with all team members
- Support Construction Administration personnel including field reviews and co-ordination, review and issuance of Change Orders, Clarifications, RFI responses, and shop drawing review on an occasional or as required basis
- Co-ordinate project information and work with all internal and/or external disciplines, including but not limited to, architectural, electrical, structural and civil as required
- Quality of work meets / exceeds requirements and specifications of the Lead Mechanical Engineer, project architects / engineers and clients.
- Projects are completed on budget and on time
- Demonstrated ability to work with various levels of people with mcCallumSather and within client organizations.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE / ABILITIES
- 2-5 years of experience in the preparation, drafting, and design of engineering drawings using appropriate standards for HVAC, plumbing, fire protection and medical gases
- Possession of a solid understanding of construction protocols and processes and a proven ability to interpret contract documents (drawings and specifications)
- Well-experienced and knowledgeable with REVIT, AutoCAD, HAP and MS Office programs
- Ability to perform complete and detailed site take-off
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Highly organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks and demonstrate a flexible approach to work assignments
- Highly motivated individual who works independently
- An enthusiastic team player who loves challenges, thrives on hard work, and looks forward to sharing in the rewards of corporate and personal success with a team environment
- Willingness to continue education in industry related programs
- Ability to handle stressful situations in an amicable manner
- Attention to detail and accuracy are required
Minimum Requirements – Education / Licensing / Certification
- College Diploma – Mechanical Engineering Technologist or Equivalent
- Drivers License
Additional Preferred Skills and Assets
- Experience working in Laboratory or Health Care sectors
- Experience working on LEED projects
- Preference given to LEED APs / Green Associates
This opportunity will be active for a period of 1 month. Only candidates who will be interviewed will be contacted.
Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Intermediate Design Architect
We are an exceptional company seeking exceptional teammates with creativity and a passion for sustainable design. mcCallumSather is an award-winning, multi-disciplinary design firm based in Hamilton, Ontario, an exciting city with a vibrant arts community. We work in an equally exceptional workspace at Westinghouse HQ, tailored to encourage collaboration, continuous learning and creativity. There are many opportunities for growth, and we encourage our team to proactively chart their own career path, providing you with the support and mentorship to achieve these goals. Our designers have the opportunity to work on a full range of projects throughout Southern Ontario and in emerging markets across Canada and cross-border. This is an opportunity to work in an amazing environment, and where your contributions to your design project can make a real difference.
Mission: Advancing Sustainable Design Intelligence
Vision Statement: Transforming design to create a more resilient world
ROLE: The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5-7 years of design experience. Experience in healthcare or science/research environments preferred. Reporting to and under the general supervision of a firm Principal, the Design Architect will fulfill an essential role in the office by initiating design concepts that reflect the firm’s passion for bold and creative design that embraces sustainability as a fundamental principal.
- Strong leadership skill, working and communicating with a variety of people
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills and ability to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Experience with all phases of design including concept design, design development, working drawings and contract administration
- Excel in a team environment and ability to manage a team, maintaining project criteria and communicate it to project teams
- Excellent technical understanding of building systems and the OBC
- Experience in Preparing Agenda’s and leading client and stakeholder meetings
- Maintain effective communication with clients, contractors and authorities having jurisdiction
- Demonstrate high initiative and be self-motivated
- Be comfortable participating in business development
- Clear understanding and application of sustainable design principles
- Understanding and development of contract agreements
- Actively participate in the process of developing design concepts and providing critical guidance and oversight to the development of the design and design development drawings, schedules and detail design
- Provide oversight to the development of construction documents to ensure the design intent is properly detailed
- Attend client meeting, presentations and sub-consultant coordination meetings as required
- Ensure CAD / Revit Standards, quality assurance and quality control procedures are followed during drawing planning and production
- Lead the junior members of the project team and assign project duties as required while reporting to the Principal in Charge, mentor junior and intermediate staff in principles of design and building systems
- Have significant experience in and be capable of conducting Construction Administration duties, if required, including field reviews and coordination, review and issuance of Change Orders, Site Instruction, and Certificate for Payment, Clarifications, and RFI responses on an as required basis
- Co-ordinate project information and work with all internal and/or external disciplines including but not limited architectural, electrical, mechanical, structural, civil, landscape architect, geotechnical and specialty consultants as required
- Have strong communication skills and ability to make effective presentations to clients and authorities
- Have demonstrated experience with making public presentations, participating in open houses and stakeholder engagement activities
It is essential to have a strong skill base in the utilization of the following software:
- MS Word
- MS Excel
It is also considered extremely useful to have experience with the following software applications:
- Microsoft Project
- 5-7 years of regional professional experience
- Strong design skills and portfolio of work
- Experience with public and private sectors
PREFERRED SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Experience with healthcare, research and science considered an asset
- Clear understanding of sustainable design principles and demonstrated delivery of projects that exemplify these principles
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – EDUCATION / LICENSING / CERTIFICATION
Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Architecture from an accredited post-secondary institution
Intern member of the OAA or Licensed Architect, OAA
Please apply by submitting your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Hamilton is a vibrant community, with a growing population of young professionals and exciting arts community. This mix makes it an appealing time to work in our City and be a part of mcCallumSather, a growing, integrated design firm with national exposure.
From renovation to new construction, small community initiatives to multi-million dollar, one-of-a-kind projects, mcCallumSather remains relentlessly focused on achieving our clients’ goals guided by a commitment to design excellence and sustainable solutions. Here you have the opportunity to be on the cutting edge of sustainable and net zero design, and precedent setting projects for both public and private sector clients. In addition to the chance to grow and challenge yourself, our team is dedicated to continuous learning and having fun in the process.
We are looking for a technologist, intern architect, architect or heritage professional in the Architectural Discipline, experienced in the conservation of historic buildings and sites. Focused on team work, our ideal candidate will be hands on in the development of a full range of heritage focused deliverables including work on site, writing reports and in delivering presentations.
Our heritage studio is quickly expanding, within the context of our firm’s broad range of projects, typologies and client types. Our projects include high profile heritage consultation and architectural conservation for The Tivoli Theatre & Condos, The Westinghouse Headquarters, Huck Glove and several other developments. Additionally, we have worked on notable heritage attractions including Dundurn Castle in Hamilton and McMaster University’s storied Phoenix Pub & Restaurant. Our heritage team is supported by a larger team, providing the new candidate with the opportunity to work on a variety of building typologies and projects of all scope and size.
- REVIT experience preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Creative suite – Indesign, photoshop, illustrator a bonus
- CAHP member preferred (Intern or full professional)
- 4 years minimum of relevant experience in an architecture or related conservation firm
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability working with teams
- Familiarity with heritage buildings, and knowledge of conservation best practices
- Lead and/or assist team members in design, contract documents and contract administration roles
managing a conservation project
- Technical drawing and detailing for contract document production
- Coordination of sub consultants
- Coordination and assembly of reports (Heritage Impact Assessments, Conservation Plans, Urban Design Briefs)
- Deliver presentations at Public Committees (Public Speaking and visual presentation)
- Field Review and Project Management skills
Please send your resume, covering letter and portfolio including salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We continue to grow in several sectors including healthcare, research, education, civic, as well as our rapid expansion into the private sector including multi-unit, high-rise developments, retail and high end single family homes.
Hamilton is a vibrant, growing community. Recently, our city has seen significant growth in the arts and culture community. Its easy access to transit, affordable cost of life and growing dining and entertainment scene is attracting more and more young professionals. It is an exciting place to be and mcCallumSather enjoys its place at the centre of the action.
Our intern program is currently closed until January 2021.
We welcome the opportunity to work with young talent and regularly provide work terms for students. If you are interested in joining our team as an intern, please contact us to learn more about the criteria and how to apply.