Current Job Postings
Architectural Co-op Student
At mcCallumSather, our clear purpose is the design of a more resilient world through the advancement of sustainable design intelligence.
We live this each day, while located in the heart of Hamilton, a vibrant community, with a growing population of young professionals and exciting arts community. It’s an exciting time to work in this City and to be part of this team. As a growing, integrated design firm with a body of work stretching from Southern Ontario to the East Coast, with aspirations for a growing geographic reach, there is room to forge your own career path within this innovative team. We remain dedicated to continuous learning and having fun.
From heritage to new construction, small community initiatives to multi-million dollar, one-of-a-kind projects, mcCallumSather remains relentlessly focused on achieving our clients’ goals guided by a commitment to design excellence and sustainable solutions. Employing a trusted integrated design process, mcCallumSather offers a range of services which fall under our architectural, mechanical engineering and interiors teams.
We are searching for an Architectural Co-op Student who has demonstrated design skills and are eager to assist in Schematic Design, Design and Design Development. During your time with us, you will work with professionals at all levels of the company including Principals, Architects, Intern Architects, Technologists and Interior Designers. Day-to-day, you will be hands-on in the research of similar project types to establish a design base and in researching building materials and finishes. Our ideal candidate must have strong Revit skills, the ability to use Sketch Up and other 3D rendering programs. Most importantly the projects you will be working on are ones with high impact; projects which can reshape a city, and ones which exemplify our commitment to sustainability.
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE / ABILITIES
- Able to produce hand sketches
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated understanding of sustainable design principles
- An understanding of building systems
- Able to prepare presentation materials
- Sharp eye for graphic details
- Sketch Up
EDUCATION / LICENSING / CERTIFICATION
- Must be able to commit to a minimum eight-month term
- Preference given to students in their third or fourth year
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Project Architect – Mid-Rise/High-Rise Residential
Candidates must submit their applications for this role via LinkedIn. Click here to apply.
We are looking for a project architect who shares our passion for sustainability, and equally excited about multi-unit residential design, both mid and high-rise. Located in Hamilton, Buffalo, and Kincardine, this is an exciting time for the housing market, and we are in the middle of it all. With a wide range of residential clients, we are well known for thoughtful feasibility studies tied to real business outcomes, and designs that meaningfully enhance the communities in which they are set. Our clients enjoy working with us because of our strengths as a multi-disciplinary and integrated team, proven experience working with authorities, creative designs tailored to their target markets, and we like to have fun in the process! Our staff enjoys working with this energetic and creative team, in a firm where you have the chance to forge your own career path and an entrepreneurial spirit is encouraged.
About the Role
Reporting to and under the general supervision of the firm Principals, the Project Architect will fulfill an essential role in the office by working alongside the firm Principals to oversee small to midsized projects from design thru construction. This role involves working directly with clients, consultants, designers, and technical teams within the firm to prepare the necessary documents for the project. In addition, it requires active engagement within the firm to promote the culture and engage positively with all staff members. Establishing, nurturing, and maintaining client relationships is a key component of this position as well as facilitating the promotion of the firm with outside individuals and agencies.
• Bachelor/Master’s Degree in Architecture from an accredited post-secondary institution
• Intern member of the OAA or Licensed Architect, OAAA
• Project Portfolio to demonstrate experience and capabilities
• Driver’s License
• 4-7 years of regional professional experience
• Experience and working knowledge of complex building typologies, renovations, and new builds, Heritage, and LEED projects
Knowledge & Skills
• Proficient in Revit, Sketch-Up, Microsoft Office
• General understanding of Microsoft Project, Illustrator, InDesign
• Strong working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code
• Solid understanding of Construction and Contract Administration processes
• Strong communication skills with both internal teammates and external clients/project stakeholders
• Understanding of contracts related to our industries
• Fluency in the design and construction process, building science and building systems
• Capable of conducting site assessments and building system audits
• Preparation of project reports and presentations at design milestones
• Coordination with suppliers, contractors, and other design disciplines
• Ability to work with clients and consultant groups to manage a project, with supervision
• Understanding of the sustainability implications of building systems and finishes
• Preparation of tender documents and assistance in the development of specifications
• Review of construction budgets
• Provide/assist in construction review and collaborate with team members to issue necessary documentation
Demonstrated Ability To
• Deliver design excellence: meet/exceed project success criteria
• Integrate the three pillars of sustainability into the design process: social, financial, environmental
• Develop and sustain relationships with client and consultant groups
• Work on multiple projects simultaneously
• Provide quality documents with minimal mark-ups
• Determine/draw/delegate critical building sections and plan details
• Provide completely coordinated documents
• Be receptive to feedback to optimize professional growth and contribution
• Mentor and coach junior team members
• Work in a team environment by sharing, collaborating, and assisting others
• Engage in self-initiated learning and professional development
• Reflect the company mission vision and values and contribute positively to the company culture
We thank everyone who is interested, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
mcCallumSather’s purpose is clear – the design of a more resilient world through the advancement of sustainable design intelligence. Located in Hamilton, Buffalo and Kincardine, we provide our clients with architecture, mechanical and interior design services with specialties in laboratory design, heritage conservation, LEED and Net Zero Facilitation and mix of public and private clients across sectors.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are seeking exceptional people who are intelligent, creative team players looking to work in an amazing city where your contributions can make a difference. Hamilton is a vibrant community, with a growing population of young professionals and exciting arts community. This mix makes it an appealing time to work in this City and be a part of mcCallumSather. Our team is dedicated to continuous learning and having fun.
Mission: Advancing Sustainable Design Intelligence
Vision: Transforming design to create a more resilient world
We are looking for a talented technical expert who shares our deep commitment to sustainable design and who will leverage the capabilities of building information modeling toward achieving higher sustainable and energy performance.
The role requires both technical and management skills, knowledge of architecture, building elements, building details, specifications and construction methodology. The BIM Manager will maintain and enhance the firm’s established standards of model generation, detailing and coordination across all disciplines using Revit Autodesk software. The BIM Manager will be capable of understanding and mapping the whole process and content of design; coordinating the disciplines and modelers; all intertwined with the process of construction. It is a key consideration to understand how the parts fit together and bring integrity to the design disciplines. Interest and knowledge of integrated simulation and performance tools are desired.
The BIM Manager will manage and delegate tasks for standards management, content/template creation and be responsible for the quality control of model creation. The BIM Manager reports to the project managers and project architects and is responsible for ensuring project teams are provided with the proper support to develop well resolved BIM/Revit documentation. This includes ensuring we adhere to spatial and detail coordination and reflect documentation standards based on company protocols. For firm wide initiatives, training and quality assurance, the BIM Manager reports directly to the Managing Principal, Operations. In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible to provide training and support to our Revit Team on standards, software upgrades and to host regular Revit sessions to cultivate the skillset of the team. We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-initiated architect or senior technologist with BIM/REVIT credentials who wishes to lead the enthusiastic and talented design and technology team.
- Detailed understanding of architecture, design and the construction process
- Extensive knowledge of building materials, systems and details
- Extensive experience with the production of contract documents
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to engage others in open dialogue in a positive
- and learning manner
- Strong proficiency with Autodesk software such Navisworks and AutoCAD
- Excellent aptitude in and knowledge of Work Sharing and Work Sets
- Ability to review and manage multiple models/projects
- Ability to lead in the creation and modification of and Revit Families
- Solid technical understanding of Revit MEP (Mechanical Electrical and Plumbing)
- Experience working with Cloud Collaboration such as BIM360 an asset
- Experience in task automation (Dynamo, Macros) an asset
- A willingness to work in a team environment and take a very active role in fostering a positive learning environment and providing informative feedback
- Assist project teams with BIM project execution planning at project kickoff and project milestones
- Advise and help define Level of Development/Detail for deliverables
- Ability to work with project managers and lead the BIM process for technical teams
- Continuous review and update of REVIT Standards
- Development of tutorials and protocols for Revit users and new hires
- Design and deliver educational offerings ranging from essentials to advanced use of REVIT
- Draft, negotiate and execute BIM Execution Plans
- Maintain standard view templates, starter files and project templates
- Research and implementation of new programs and add-ons that would assist in the productivity of the team
- Management of the Autodesk account – advising the team of program updates including training sessions on significant updates
- Work with our IT Partner to ensure software updates are installed, licenses current and any performance issues related to the Autodesk platform are mitigated.
- Model building including some of the following;
- Locating a model using real world coordinates
- Working in project phases
- Setting up grids, sheet sets, views
- Document and revision control
- Creating necessary annotation and descriptions for tagging
- Model coordination using Navisworks
- Leverage data collection and query for purposes of design intelligence, optimization, automation and simulation
- Perform regular model audits
It is essential to have a strong skill base in the utilization of the following software:
- BIM (Revit)
- Navis Works
- Understanding of BIM360
- MS Word
- MS Excel
- Strong technical knowledge of Sketchup, Rhino, Grasshopper and other Design Applications for whole design process and workflow integration.
PREFERRED SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Experience with healthcare, research labs, post-secondary institutions, municipal facilities, transit
- and operational facilities, multi-unit residential, heritage, feasibility studies, master planning,
- functional programming all considered an asset
- Clear understanding of sustainable design principles
- Extensive experience working on renovations
- Strong experience working on new construction, heritage and LEED projects
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – KNOWLEDGE / ABILITIES
- 5 years of experience as a BIM/Revit Manager in the architectural field on construction projects
- 7 to 10 years working with Revit with recognized REVIT Certification
- Substantial experience with construction and related knowledge of constructability and construction processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Highly motivated individual who works independently
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and amicable manner
- Confident in troubleshooting
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – EDUCATION / LICENSING / CERTIFICATION
- Diploma / Degree in Architecture from an accredited post-secondary institution or
- Diploma in Architectural Technology
- Eligibility for licensing or certification in the following: OAA, OAAA, PEO, AATO
- Quality of work meets or exceeds requirements and specifications of Principals, project architects and clients
- Demonstrated improvement in the quality, completeness and coordination of Revit Documents in both design and construction documents
- Evidence of fostering a positive team learning environment while enhancing production quality and efficiency
- Demonstrated ability to work with various levels of people within the different divisions of mcCallumSather
- Demonstrates knowledge of industry best-practice and the evolving BIM landscape within professional practice
We thank everyone who is interested, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Please send resumes and cover letter to email@example.com.